Another "What Do You Think?" Question

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Here's an email from Ray Green, with
a training question that I get more
or less all the time - meaning that
many Dinos are asking or thinking
about it:

Hey. You know me, 66 years old,
5'10 1/2", 175 lbs, work full time,
own 5 acres with a garden.

Limited time and energy.

Thinking of going to one exercise
workouts, 5-7 sets, 3-5 reps.

BB deadlifts, DB clean and press,
squat.

Train every 3 to 5 days.

What do you think?

Thanks for your thoughts, and what
should my weight goals be on each
lift - experienced, but not super
strong. Want to keep moving.

Thank you for all your advice.

Just finished 7 sets of deadlifts.

Ray"

Ray -- Thanks for your email, and your
question.

What do I think?

I think your program is pretty darn
good!

I'm a big fan of one-exercise workouts.
I use them myself all the time. I like
the way I can really focus on one
exercise, and drill deep and work
it hard.

That's what makes them so effective.

And yes, you can get really strong on
one-exercise workouts, especially if
you rotate three different exercises,
hitting one movement in one workout,
the second in the next workout and the
third in the workout after that --
which is exactly what you are doing.

One-exercise workouts are particularly
good for those trainees with limited
recovery ability -- limited time and
energy for training -- and for those
trainees who require a fair number of
progressively heavier warm-up sets
before they get to their top weight
for the day.

Your choice of exercises is good. You're
hitting the big exercises and working
pretty much every major muscle group,
with special attention to the Power
Zones (legs, hips, back and shoulder
girdle).

As for poundage goals, keep them simple.
Shoot to put 20 pounds on each lift before
the end of the year. When you reach your
goal, set a new one and go after it.

For more ideas about one-exercise workouts
for Dinos, see Strength, Muscle and Power
and Chalk and Sweat. I cover them in my
Doug Hepburn training course -- he did
them a lot, and they worked pretty well
for him.

To everyone -- as always, thanks for
reading and have a great day. If you
train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Go here to grab the books and courses
I mentioned in today's email:

http://www.brookskubik.com/strength_muscle_power.html

http://www.brookskubik.com/chalk_and_sweat.html

http://www.brookskubik.com/doug_hepburn.html

P.S. 2. I almost forgot -- check out Gray
Hair and Black Iron for more tips on great
workouts for older trainees:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Keep it
simple, but keep on doing it."
-- Brooks Kubik